Canon has just announced the EOS M50 Mark II, a relatively minor update to one of its most popular mirrorless models.
“Our customer base includes future content creators and imaging storytellers; it’s in our best interest to continuously provide high-quality products that are easy to use in the creative world of photography and video content creation, as well as streaming,” said Tatsuro “Tony” Kano, executive vice president and general manager of the Canon U.S.A., Inc. Imaging Technologies & Communications Group. “The EOS M50 Mark II continues to pave the way for photography and video enthusiasts to experience a lightweight interchangeable lens camera with many similar features as our full-frame professional mirrorless cameras.”
The EOS M50 Mark II new features include:
- Improved autofocus including eye autofocus in video
- Vertical video shooting support
- LCD adds tap video record button and movie self-timer for better vlogging experience
- High-quality webcam capability, when used with compatible services, with the free EOS Webcam Utility software or Clean HDMI output
- Wireless YouTube Live streaming capability (live stream feature is only supported with YouTube)
- The ability to tap the screen to autofocus on your subject while looking through the EVF (for help controlling the main focus of the image)
The M50 Mark II shares the same 24MP APS-C sensor with its predecessor and the same Digic 8 image processor. The Dual Pixel autofocus system has been updated to allow for eye tracking in both stills and video, and users can now capture vertical video and stream to YouTube Live over a smartphone internet connection.
The rest of the camera’s specs are largely unchanged. Video tops out at 4K/24p with a heavy 1.5x crop, and the autofocus in 4K is contrast-detect only. Full HD comes with Dual Pixel autofocus, and you can capture slow-motion up to 120p. On the stills side, a new electronic shutter option is available and burst speeds top out at 7.4fps with continuous autofocus. The camera is CIPA-rated to capture 305 images on a charge, but of course, you can expect much more in general use.
The Canon EOS M50 Mark II camera is scheduled to be available in Late November 2020 at an estimated retail price of $599.99 for the body only, $699.99 for the camera body plus EF-M 15-45mm lens kit, and $929.99 for the camera body plus EF-M 15-45mm and EF-M55-200mm double zoom lens kit.
More info on Canon’s website.