Cosina has announced the Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 Heliar Classic lens for VM-mount based on the Helia type with 6 elements in 3 groups, and the optical design is intentionally imperfect to mimic a true vintage lens and show various aberrations. In addition to the timeless bokeh that is not a projectile, the remaining coma flare and the single coating finish on the lens give an extremely unique aperture-opening depiction. This tendency is reduced by narrowing down the aperture, and from the aperture f/4, the performance is equivalent to that of other Voigtlander VM mount 50mm lenses.
In short, the Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 Heliar Classic has all the hallmarks and desired features of a vintage lens, in a brand new one.
- Achieves a large aperture of f/1.5 that exceeds the limit of the unique aperture depiction helia type. The optical design that intentionally expresses aberrations at full aperture provides classical bokeh and flare not found in modern lenses.
- The all-metal focus ring is knurled with a diamond pattern using a special cutting tool to improve operability with specifications that prevent slipping in both the rotation and optical axis directions in addition to its beautiful appearance.
- A single coating is intentionally adopted on the surface of the spherical lens. It reproduces the classical color tone before multi-coating became common.
- Interlocking with a rangefinder It is possible to focus up to 0.5m beyond the shortest shooting distance of 0.7m. Photographers can get closer to the subject by using the live view function of the rangefinder-linked digital camera.
- By adopting an all-metal helicoid unit that has been processed and adjusted with high precision and high-quality grease that produces an appropriate torque, focusing with a smooth operation feeling is realized. It enables fine focus adjustment.
- A VM mount compatible with the Leica M mount is used for the lens mount.
- The high-precision rangefinder interlocking mechanism enables severe focusing near the maximum aperture.
- A generous image circle that supports full-frame 35mm format. In addition, it achieves a very compact style compared to interchangeable lenses for single-lens reflex cameras.
Below are some sample pictures provided by Cosina:
The lens measures 56.5mm in diameter by 41.9mm long and weighs 255g. The Cosina Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 Heliar Classic will be released in September for 90,000 yen, or about $820.
More info on Cosina’s website.