FiLMiC, the company best known for its FiLMiC Pro video camera app with features for professionals, has branched in the still photography market with the launch of Firstlight. With FiLMiC Firstlight, iPhone owners get access to more features than offered on the stock camera app, including support for TIF and DNG Raw formats, anamorphic adapter support, the ability to embed copyright info and more.
Firstlight is fast and easy to use, with a clean and intuitive interface. It offers a range of options, advanced image controls, and film simulations and grain. The app is free for download, but there are a limited number of options available and you can get more through in-app purchases.
Here are the features you get for free:
- Burst mode
- Grid overlays
- Aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1, 5:4
- Expanded shadow detail
- JPG or HEIC Selection
- HDR control (This feature supported by iPhone Xs Max, Xs, Xr and newer)
- Volume button shutter and support for most bluetooth camera shutter remotes
- FiLMiC Pro quick launch button (for owners of FiLMiC Pro)
As mentioned, Firstlight is a freemium app, meaning you can pay to unlock other features. Here’s the list of additional features you get with a paid subscription:
- Shutter and ISO priority modes: In addition to AE you can set specific Shutter Speed or ISO values to adhere to and let the app automatically adjust exposure for the unlocked value.
- Expanded film simulation options: More realistic film simulations and more to be added in the future for paid subscribers.
- Film grain: Fine, coarse and ISO adaptive options in addition to medium
- Adjustable vignette: Low and heavy options in addition to medium.
- Configurable burst mode
- Anamorphic adapter support
- RAW: DNG and TIF formats
- Custom Function button
- Custom live analytics
- Configurable Focus and Exposure controls
- Embedded copyright
FiLMiC Firstlight is compatible with any device that runs iOS 13, and it’s available now as a free download through the Apple App Store. The “Premium Member Subscription” costs $1 per month or $8 if you prepay for a year.