Last but not least Fujifilm has introduced a new fast standard prime lens for its GFX medium-format system.
The GF 80mm f/1.7 R WR has a standard focal length of 80mm (a 35mm equivalent of 63mm). Its large-diameter autofocus (AF) prime lens features a maximum aperture of F1.7, which also makes it the fastest lens among Fujifilm’s G Mount lenses.
“Portrait photographers using GFX System cameras can now choose FUJINON GF 110mm f/2 R WR for when they want images with a tighter angle of view or pick GF 80mm f/1.7 for when they want something slightly wider,” said Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product management for FUJIFILM North America Corporation’s Electronic Imaging Division. “This choice will certainly give image-makers more options creatively, especially since the highly anticipated bokeh produced from GF 80mm f/1.7’s wide aperture is sure to provide an incredible aesthetic quality to any image.”
Here are the product features:
- GF 80mm f/1.7 R WR features nine rounded diaphragm blades that can be stopped down to provide edge-to-edge sharpness or opened up to produce images with beautifully smooth bokeh, with astounding separation between a subject and its background, from any GFX System camera. Comprising 12 lens elements in nine groups, including one aspherical element and two, Super ED elements, this lens is optimally balanced to control spherical aberration and deliver a quality of bokeh not able to be replicated by any other Large Format lens on the market.
- Fujifilm’s ultra-high-precision glass molding technology has been used on the two aspherical lens surfaces to produce a tolerance of 1/100,000th of a millimeter. This is five times more accurate than regular lens molding techniques can produce and serves to minimize the onion-ring effect that can how the lens handles the out-of-focus areas of an image.
- GF 80mm f/1.7 features a powerful DC motor that has enough torque to drive the focus group of six lens elements, including the aspherical element, to quickly deliver accurate and reliable autofocus, even when the lens is wide-open at f/1.7 and when the depth of field is extremely shallow. The lens also supports the Face / Eye AF function, which uses an advanced focusing algorithm to accurately acquire focus on a subject’s face or eyes even when they are moving within the frame.
- GF 80mm f/1.7 brings low-light focusing capabilities of GFX100 and GFX100S to EV-5.5, which is a 0.5 stop improvement in the case of GFX100. With GF 80mm f/1.7, autofocus performance for both of these cameras is maximized in dimly lit environments.
- Measuring at 3.9 in. (99.2mm) long and weighing just 795g, with a filter thread size of 77mm, GF 80mm f/1.7 is practically sized and suited for both on-location and in-studio applications.
- Weather-resistant seals have been applied to the lens barrel at 10 locations on the lens to protect it against dust and water, while also providing it with the ability to operate at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The front lens element is also coated with fluorine to repel dirt, adding another layer of weather-resistant performance to the lens.
Here some sample pictures: