Megadap, a new manufacturer of electronic adapters, has announced its first product: a Leica M – Nikon Z Autofocus Adapter which is the World’s First adapter to be used on Nikon Z cameras that can turn manual focus lenses into autofocus.
Megadap says the new adapter bypasses the focusing mechanism of the lens by incorporating it directly into the adapter. It communicates electronically with the Nikon Z cameras, allowing it to take full advantage of its phase-detection autofocus system.
The new MTZ-11 Leica M to Nikon Z adapter replaces the focusing mechanism of the lens by incorporating an extendable bayonet structure. It’s is built with electronic contacts to communicate with the Nikon Z cameras and utilizes the camera phase-detection autofocus algorithm to determine the focus spot. The motor in the adapter will then drive the bayonet to extend or retract. The distance between the lens and the camera sensor will hereby be adjusted until the focus is reached.
The adapter currently supports Single-shot AF (AF-S), Continuous AF (AF-C) and servo AF (AF-F) mode. AF-area, Single-point AF, Wide-area AF (S/L), and Auto-area AF can all be used. It is compatible with Nikon Z6, Z7, Z50, Z6 II, and Z7 II.
It’s also possible to stack adapters onto the Leica M mount, allowing you to use EF, F, FD, PK, MD, OM M42, LR, CY, and other lenses (including manual focus ones) with the new adapter and get full autofocus capabilities. According to the company, the adapter is built with a patented circular extension structure that allows it to support heavier lenses. This is also claimed as being able to eradicate any potential wobbling bayonet issues after prolonged use.
- Turn any Leica M-mount lenses into Autofocus
- Stack adapters to turn ANY lenses into Autofocus (e.g. EF, F, OM, MD, PK, M42, etc)
- Focus by extending the bayonet of the adapter forward & backward
- New patented circular extension mechanism to support heavier lens and avoid wobbling after prolonged use
- Extended 6.5mm focus throw (Suitable for both wide-angle and telephoto lenses)
- Internal motor for rapid phase-detection AF
- Support AF-S, AF-C, AF-F
- Support Eye-AF and Face detection
- Firmware upgradable via micro-USB port
- Suitable for Nikon Z50, Nikon Z5, Nikon Z6, Nikon Z6 ii, Nikon Z7, Nikon Z7 ii cameras
The Megadap Leica M – Nikon Z autofocus adapter retails for $349 and it can be purchased via their official website.
A 2 years warranty and FedEx international shipping are provided for all direct purchases from the store.
More info on Megadap’s website.