Nikon has announced the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8, a compact and lightweight prime lens for Nikon Z series cameras. This fast aperture, wide-angle lens is small enough to carry anywhere and is ideal for capturing everyday snapshots, group portraits, street photography, landscapes, cityscapes, and more.
With a total length of approximately 43mm and a weight of about 155g, this lens is the smallest and lightest among NIKKOR Z prime lenses. The NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 is also a great lens for close-up photography, with a minimum focus distance of just 0.19m, making it simple to capture detailed photos and videos of food, DIY crafts, fashion, and more. Because it is also extremely compact, affordable, and versatile, this new lens will appeal to both full-frame and DX-format Nikon Z series mirrorless users.
The only differences between this version and the previously released ‘SE’ are cosmetic. The new lens is housed in a more subdued, modern-styled matte black plastic barrel, in contrast to the retro-styled ‘SE’.
Primary features of the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8:
- The smallest and lightest NIKKOR Z prime lens to date, with a length of approx. 43mm and weight of approx. 155g.
- The fast f/2.8 maximum aperture allows for a shallow depth of field with pleasing bokeh as well as exceptional low-light capability, even during hand-held shooting.
- When mounted on a DX-format camera, such as the Nikon Z fc or Z 50, the focal length becomes a natural 42mm (equivalent to 35mm  format).
- A minimum focus distance of approximately 0.19m allows users to get close to their subjects for dynamic photography.
- Adoption of a multi-focusing system realizes natural rendering across the entire shooting range, as well as fast and accurate AF control while maintaining a smaller body size.
- Designed with consideration of dust and drip-resistant performance so that it can be taken anywhere with greater confidence.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- Developed with consideration for video recording with extremely quiet operation, effective focus-breathing compensation, and stable exposure.
- The lens differs cosmetically from the previously announced NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 SE lens by featuring a modern black finish.
Below are a few sample images taken with the lens, provided by Nikon: