Tamron announces the launch of the 17-70mm f/2.8 Di III-A VC RXD (Model B070), a fast-aperture standard zoom lens for FUJIFILM X-mount APS-C mirrorless cameras. This new lens is the FUJIFILM X-Mount version of the 17-70mm f/2.8 Di III-A VC RXD (Model B070) released in January 2021 for Sony E-mount APS-C mirrorless cameras. It features a maximum aperture of f/2.8 across the entire 4.1x zoom ratio that covers the focal length range of 17-70mm (full-frame equivalent of 25.5-105mm), and superb optical performance. It is a small, lightweight lens equipped with Tamron’s VC (Vibration Compensation) mechanism to minimize camera shake. The VC mechanism leverages AI technology when shooting video.
It is also equipped with the quiet RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) AF motor and has minimal focus breathing. These features enable videographers to shoot comfortably when using a mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera. For added versatility, the 17-70mm f/2.8 offers an exceptional MOD (Minimum Object Distance) of 7.5” at the wide-angle end, Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating. Its 67mm filter size is the same as most TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras.
- The Model B070 has a focal length range of 17-70mm, equivalent to 25.5-105mm on full-frame cameras. It is the first f/2.8 fast-aperture zoom lens in the world for APS-C mirrorless cameras to achieve a 4.1x zoom ratio.
- The optical construction of the 17-70mm f/2.8 features 16 elements in 12 groups. Two GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) and one hybrid aspherical lens element are precisely arranged to maintain high-resolution performance from edge to edge.
- The 17-70mm f/2.8 features TAMRON’s proprietary VC mechanism. More sophisticated algorithms optimized for this model and a dedicated, independently operating MPU (Micro Processor Unit) combine to compensate for vibration superbly. This feature is available when the lens is used with cameras with or without in-body image stabilization. By leveraging AI technology, image stabilization performs automatically when shooting video to best compensate for different shooting situations.
- The 17-70mm f/2.8 incorporates TAMRON’s proprietary RXD stepping motor. Remarkably quiet, the lens facilitates photography and videography in conditions that require silence. Supporting stress-free focusing from the wide-angle to the telephoto end of the zoom range, RXD technology enables the camera’s focus tracking of moving objects to perform superbly.
- The 17-70mm f/2.8 has minimal focus breathing, an undesirable phenomenon in which the angle of view changes depending on the focusing distance during videography. By counteracting focus breathing, the 17-70mm f/2.8 empowers users’ expression of their creative intentions to the fullest degree.
- Close focusing MOD is just 7.5” at wide-angle end
- A highly portable compact design
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating provide extra protection
Here are some sample pictures: