Tamron announces the development of the versatile 50-400mm f/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD (Model A067), a next-level ultra-telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras. The lens is expected to be available in fall 2022. However, the release date or product supply schedule could change due to the current global health crisis.
The 50-400mm f/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD (Model A067) creates a new category for high-performance ultra-telephoto mirrorless zoom lenses. With an 8x zoom ratio that begins at an unprecedented 50mm (commonly called the “standard” focal length for full-frame cameras), this new ultra-telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras is the same size as conventional 100-400mm zoom lenses yet offers a wider angle of view on the wide end for exceptional versatility.
The 50-400mm f/4.5-6.3 is remarkably compact with a length of just 7.2” and a light weight of 40.7oz. yet provides unparalleled high performance at all focal lengths. Despite the high magnification ratio, high image quality is delivered across the entire 50-400mm range through the effective arrangement of special lens elements. Equipped with TAMRON’s VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism that offers excellent quietness and responsiveness, plus TAMRON’s proprietary image stabilization mechanism VC (Vibration Compensation), the lens delivers versatile capability for all shooting scenarios.
Since the 50-400mm provides up to one-half life-size magnification during close focus, users can enjoy the world of half-macro photography with excellent close-up shooting capabilities, with a MOD (Minimum Object Distance) of 9.8” at the 50mm end. We don’t get to know the exact dimensions of the lens, but Tamron does specify that the lens measures just 18.3cm (7.2″) when not extended and weighs 1153g (2.54lbs).
The filter size is 67mm, the same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras, providing greater convenience when using multiple lenses together. The lens also features ergonomic features that support comfortable shooting, such as adopting a new lens design with improved texture and operability and a Connector Port for the dedicated TAMRON Lens Utility originally and uniquely developed by TAMRON. In addition, for this 50-400mm f/4.5-6.3, TAMRON Lens Utility offers a “Focus Limiter” function. An optional Arca-Swiss compatible accessory tripod mount is available for convenience when using a tripod.
The 50-400mm is a highly portable, versatile zoom lens that ensures users never miss a shooting opportunity, from the 50mm standard focal length up to the 400mm ultra-telephoto.
- The expansive 8x zoom ratio starts at 50mm and extends to 400mm ultra-telephoto with a single lens
- Unfaltering high image quality across the entire zoom range
- VXD produces high-speed and high-precision AF
- Equipped with TAMRON’s proprietary VC image stabilization
- Super-compact with a length of only 7.2” and a weight of 40.7oz
- Half-macro photography with a magnification ratio of 1:2 at the 50mm setting
- New design with improved texture and scratch resistance
- 67mm filter size, same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras
- User-friendly features (Moisture-Resistant Construction, Fluorine Coating, Zoom Lock switch, etc.)
- Compatibility with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
- Enhanced operational and versatile features
• Connector Port for the TAMRON Lens Utility
• New “Focus Limiter” function added to the TAMRON Lens Utility
• Rapid zooming (Zoom ring rotation arc is just 75°)
• Optional tripod mount (Arca-Swiss compatible)