When the Leica SL2 was unveiled in November, Leica said that a 187MP ‘Multishot’ mode would be coming via firmware sometime in 2020. Firmware 2.0, released last Friday, delivers on this promise. With the release of firmware version 2.0 for its SL2 full-frame mirrorless camera Leica bringing with it the much-anticipated ‘Multishot’ mode amongst other features and fixes.
Using the camera’s IBIS system, the camera will shift the sensor half-a-pixel at a time, capturing up to 8 RAW frames and combining them together into a 187MP DNG. Each time you use this mode, the camera will produce a standard 47MP photo, and one 187MP stitched Multishot photo – a nice touch in case the subject movement ruins the high-res version.
Due to the Multishot mode using sensor-shifting to capture the high-res images, Multishot mode is limited to electronic shutter capture and automatically turns off image stabilization (both BIS and OIS). It also won’t work with flash.
Here is the full list of improvements and bugfixes in firmware update 2.0:
- Multishot, the user can create photos with a resolution up to 187MP. One photo will be taken at normal resolution (47MP) and one at high resolution (187MP).
- In the submenus of the video mode, a white highlighted header shows that the user operates in video mode.
- The AF-field size can be changed with a long tap without moving the AF field.
- After formatting the SD-Card, the card will be named with “Leica SL2”.
- 6-bit coded M lenses will be recognized at all time with the M-Adapter L.
- In the drive mode “Continous – Very High Speed” there were artifacts in the DNG under certain settings, which have now been removed.
- The focus distance on the top display has been corrected and now shows the correct values.
- General improvements for a faster and more stable connection between camera and smartphone or computer.
Information on Multishot Function:
- Only full-frame lenses are suitable for use with the multishot function.
- Any aperture between 1 and 16 can be selected.
- As ISO settings, values from 50 to 3200 are possible.
- The use of a flash is not possible.
- The electronic shutter is always used.
- The multishot function automatically turns off the image stabilization (BIS and OIS).
- The shutter speeds range from 1/40,000 to 1sec.
Firmware version 2.0 for the SL2 is free to download on Leica’s website.